Machine accounts

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Fri Sep 28 13:55:02 GMT 2001

I have a couple of questions with regards to machine accounts.

1) Can someone please explain to me what happens between samba and a
winnt/2k machine when that machine joins and leaves a domain?  At one
time, about six months ago, one had to delete machine accounts from the
smbpasswd database by hand when rejoining for example.  This doesn't
seem to be the case now.

2) Is the $ symbol after a machine name M$ convention or did the Samba
team come up with this?

3) Is this a correct statement: When you leave the domain and change to
a workgroup, nothing is changed on the server side. When you re-join the
domain, samba re-generates a different random password that it stores in
smbpasswd, overwriting the previous password, and things proceed as
normal.

Thanks.

Greg J. Zartman