NT into Samba domain?

Bob Purdon - Lists lists at aussie.nu
Fri Sep 28 03:23:02 GMT 2001

OK, I'm pissed.  I've wasted the equivalent of 2 days on this and tried
everything I could find, ranging from the Samba documentation, HOWTO's,
and what I've found on mailing lists...

I have a working Samba PDC here at home.  It talks to Windows 95 machines
just fine, the logon script runs, and that side is all happy.

A few weeks ago I ran up a Windows NT 4 box, followed the instructions for
creating machine accounts and joining the domain, and it too worked just
fine.

Since then I've brought my NT box home from work, but I'll be stuffed if I
can make it work.  I've changed the domain name to match what I use here,
but if I click OK in the "Identification Changes" box I get the error "The
domain controller for this domain cannot be located" (when I did this on
the first NT box, it worked fine).

If I use the 'Create account in domain' option, with username 'root' and
the password defined for root in the smbpasswd file, it welcomes me to the
domain fine.

...but, when I reboot, it tells me that there is a problem with the
machine account or the password for the machine account is wrong.

So, is there some reason why an NT box will refuse to work with Samba
after it's previously been part of a genuine NT domain?

The logs aren't showing any obvious errors (debug level 9).

The relevant parts of my smb.conf are below:

[global]
   security = user
   status = yes
   workgroup = PURDON
   encrypt passwords = yes
   domain logons = yes
   logon script = scripts\login.bat
   domain admin group = @adm
   add user script = /bin/false
   guest account = fuckifiknow
   share modes = no
   os level = 65
   preferred master = yes
   domain master = yes
   local master = yes
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   lock directory = /var/locks
   oplocks = true
   strict locking = no
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY
   log file = /var/log/samba.log
   mangle case = no
   wins support = yes

[ some config cut from here relating to shares ]

[netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/netlogon
   read only = yes