sync passwords

Dominic d.lukwata at fh-mannheim.de
Thu Sep 27 07:58:03 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I have managed to make smbpasswd update both unix NIS passwords
and smb-passwords. Only that the price is a big security hole!
yppasswd needs the root password! So I have changed the chat in smb.conf to
include the root password in clear text.

   smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
   unix password sync = yes
   passwd program = /usr/bin/yppasswd %u
   passwd chat = *NIS* <root password>\n *NIS* %n\n *new* %n\n *changed*
   encrypt passwords = yes

Now this has worked, but really not acceptable, since smb.conf must be
readable by every one! So the root password can be read by anyone!

Does any one know how to go around this?

Thanks a bunch

Dominic