Symantec Ghost cann't join Samba-PDC domain

Dana Canfield canfield at uindy.edu
Wed Sep 26 18:53:03 GMT 2001

Yes, we are successfully doing what you want.  The trick is that (as I
understand it) Ghost wants your console machine to be logged in with
administrative privileges.  In other words, it wants the console machine
to be able to reset the domain account on behalf of the client.  I have
not been able to make this work, but we've talked to the head of
Symantec's Ghost Support and they seem very willing to work on this
problem.  Perhaps if one of the samba developers in interested, I could
put the right people in touch with each other to make this feature work.

More importantly, there is a way to automatically add machines to the
domain with Ghost.  You have to use Ghost's support of the Microsoft
SysPrep utility, rather than GhostWalker and the built-in domain adding
support.  This is documented in one of the Ghost manuals.  It's not real
easy to figure out, but as long as you understand how to add a machine
to the domain in samba, and you are willing to read all of the
documents, it can be made to work.  Plus, using sysprep has the added
bonus of letting us ghost to machines with different hardware because it
resets the hardware profile.

Note that SysPrep should work with any disk imaging software, not just
ghost.

If you get really stuck, perhaps I can post our sysprep config file as
an example, but that part is really just a matter of reading the SysPrep
docs.

DC