WINS trouble ...

Anthony Brock abrock at georgefox.edu
Wed Sep 26 13:42:51 GMT 2001

I am having difficulty with WINS. Specifically, I have a WINS server
installed and running with the following configuration at address
XXX.XXX.224.1 and YYY.YYY.64.1 (it is multi-homed) named "DNS1" running
Samba 2.2.0-alpha3:

# Global parameters
[global]
         workgroup = IT
         security = DOMAIN
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         password server = IT-PDC
         log level = 2
         syslog = 0
         logon script = startup.bat
         wins support = Yes

I also have another server at YYY.YYY.94.1 named "WES-SUN" running Samba
2.0.7 with the following:

[global]
         workgroup = PORTLAND
         server string = Portland Center File and Print Server
         encrypt passwords = Yes
         passwd program = /bin/passwd %u
         unix password sync = Yes
         syslog = 0
         logon script = startup.bat
         domain logons = Yes
         os level = 34
         preferred master = Yes
         domain master = Yes
         wins server = XXX.XXX.224.1
         utmp consolidate = Yes
         utmp = Yes

However, when I attempt to browse to from a Win95, Win98, or WinNT (or even
Win2K) box, I am unable to browse the distant network.

I am including below some commands I used to demonstrate the problem,

Tony

 From my workstation at YYY.YYY.64.51 I attempt the following:

C:\WINDOWS>net view \\wes-sun

Error 53: The computer name specified in the network path cannot be located.
Make sure you are specifying the computer name correctly, or try again later
when the remote computer is available.

C:\WINDOWS>nbtstat -c

No names in cache
C:\WINDOWS>net view \\dns1
Shared resources at \\DNS1

Sharename    Type         Comment
abrock       Disk         Home directory of abrock
Archives     Disk         Network Services Archives
Help Desk    Print        Help Desk LaserWriter 12/640 PS
netlogon     Disk
The command was completed successfully.

C:\WINDOWS>new view

*** complete list of 70 machines ***

C:\WINDOWS>net view /workgroup:portland

Error 6118: The computer(s) sharing resources in this workgroup cannot be
located. The computer(s) might have been restarted. Wait a few minutes, and
then try again. If the problem persists, make sure your network-adapter
settings are correct.

C:\WINDOWS>

* Anthony Brock                                         abrock at georgefox.edu *
* Director of Network Services                         George Fox University *