netlogin login script and Win2K

Don Armstrong don at donarmstrong.com
Tue Sep 25 07:08:05 GMT 2001

I seem to be having an issue with netlogin login scripts and win2k
clients, both sp1 and sp2.

I've run the newest cvs (as of 1 hour ago) and 2.2.1a
[pam/utmp/ssl/quotas/syslog], and for some reason, users authenticated
with the samba PDC are not running the logon script. (debian unstable with
2.4.9)

The script is able to be run normally by browsing [netlogon] and running
it, and smb.conf is set up accoring to man smb.conf.

Here is the relevant section of smb.conf:

[global]
	<<SNIP>>

        logon script = STARTUP.BAT

        logon path = \\%N\profiles
        logon drive = H:
        logon home = \\%N\%u
        domain logons = Yes
        os level = 64
        preferred master = True
        domain master = True
        guest account = guest

[netlogon]
        path = /exports/smb/netlogin
        comment = Network Logon Service
        writable = no

<<END>>

STARTUP.BAT is in /exports/smb/netlogin/ and is 0755 as expected. There
are no obvious errors in the logs, save a

[2001/09/25 07:03:33, 0] rpc_server/srv_pipe.c:api_rpcTNP(1215)
  api_rpcTNP: api_netlog_rpc: NET_SAMLOGON failed.
[2001/09/25 07:03:33, 0] rpc_server/srv_netlog.c:api_net_sam_logon(208)
  api_net_sam_logon: Failed to marshall NET_R_SAM_LOGON.

If anyone is successfully running login scripts with win2k and 2.2.1a, I'd
love to hear from you with your smb.conf and anything strange that you've
done.

I'm not familiar enough with the actual process of sending the login
script to the win2k box, but if you know of documentation on what it's
supposed to look like, I can go through logging output.

Thanks!

		Don Armstrong

      Anylevel          |   .naidnE elttil atah I
 The Future by Design   |
http://www.anylevel.com | http://www.donarmstrong.com