SAMBA

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Mon Sep 24 16:47:05 GMT 2001

Bob,
Under Linux (well, any SysV Unix, I think) you can start and stop using

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart

Under AIX I believe that by default it sets itself up in inetd, so there is
no need to restart, just do a ps -ef to find out where it's process ID and
then kill -HUP those processes. I am also including a page by our local AIX
admin  (BTW: We also use AIX 4.x, our most recent version is 4.3.2, but hey,
we have 1 Tiger-2)

NB: Although the attached documentation may mention IBM Wangaratta, Bluegum
Wangaratta or Solectron Wangaratta, do not consider the procedures mentioned
here in to in any way refelct the procedures or to be in any way endorsed by
the aforementioned companies. It outlines what we do, but it is not an
approved procedure.

---------------------------------

SAMBA on CCS
Install
 Get an account for the host on the PDC
Using the server admin tool, just add a new host as an 'NT Workstation or
Server'

 Install the samba fileset with smit install

The install from an AIX install file was rather trivial.

Aparently the install adds the swat entry to /etc/services and adds entries
to /etc/inetd.conf to run the daemons under inetd.

 Comment out the lines for smbd & nmbd as follows:

# The following three lines are for the Samba SMB Server (freeware)
# netbios-ssn stream tcp  nowait  root    /usr/local/bin/smbd smbd
# netbios-ns  dgram  udp  wait    root    /usr/local/bin/nmbd nmbd
swat        stream tcp  nowait.400  root    /usr/local/bin/swat swat

 Add the following to the end of /etc/rc.tcpip
# Start samba
/usr/local/bin/nmbd -D &
/usr/local/bin/smbd -D &

 Edit /usr/local/lib/smb.conf and set the following:
  security = domain
  password server = bgntpdc
  wins server = 10.206.177.51

Ensure that none of the above lines are commented out. Also, with the
security = statement, there is an uncommented statement immediately after
the commented one. Make sure you dont end up with 2 conflicting statements.
 Run the following command ONCE ONLY & BEFORE STARTING SAMBA

smbpasswd -j BGNT

 Save the files /var/samba/private/BGNT.CCS.mac & MACHINE.SID
 Reboot or run the above commands manually to start Samba.

If smbpasswd is run a second time these files will be corrupted. Either
restore the original files or

Delete system account on PDC
Recreate system account on PDC
rerun smbpasswd -j BGNT
Make sure you save BGNT.CCS.mac & MACHINE.SID this time !!
Config
The config file is /usr/local/lib/smb.conf
Maps
The map name is /var/samba/users.map
This is a mapping of BGNT domain userids to CCS userids
The format is:

jaa = jatkinson

If passwords are different for the NT domain and the referenced unix account
you will need to initialise the password on the unix box. Enter:

/usr/local/bin/smbpasswd uuser

Where uuser is the unix user referenced to the NT user in the users.map file

When prompted enter the NT password.

Connection Environment

John Atkinson   18-APR-00