Weird Folder Looping

Mark Cooke mpc at star.sr.bham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 24 06:35:12 GMT 2001

Having looked more closely at the backup process here, it seems there
are more serious issues I need to examine.

I added the -v flag to smbtar to produce a verbose output, and there
are many cases of the following types of error.  This is between a
linux machine running 2.2.1a, and a solaris machine also running
2.2.1a.

1. This one appears to be a case sensitivity issue.  ICLink and iclink
   are different files, so this warning I understand:

     13487 (  286.3 kb/s) \mgc-c4\bin\rm_ic_readlocks
     11245 (  296.8 kb/s) \mgc-c4\bin\ICLink
File size change - truncating \mgc-c4\bin\iclink to 1469 bytes
      1469 (   68.3 kb/s) \mgc-c4\bin\iclink
      3849 (  101.6 kb/s) \mgc-c4\bin\InstantXpert

2. These ones are more worrying:

Error reading file \mgc-c4\lib\VerilogCXEldo : code 0
Didn't get entire file. size=6742692, nread=4258800
   6742692 (  114.4 kb/s) \mgc-c4\lib\VerilogCXEldo
code 0 opening remote file \mgc-c4\lib\toasc.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
code 0 opening remote file \mgc-c4\lib\tobin.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
code 0 opening remote file \mgc-c4\lib\creefft.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
Error reading file \mgc-c4\lib\curve_v.exe. Got 0 bytes
Didn't get entire file. size=364760, nread=0
    364760 (  183.0 kb/s) \mgc-c4\lib\curve_v.exe
Error reading file \mgc-c4\lib\curve_t.exe. Got 0 bytes
Didn't get entire file. size=368448, nread=28092
    368448 (10280.4 kb/s) \mgc-c4\lib\curve_t.exe
Error reading file \mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_cmp.exe : code 0
Didn't get entire file. size=117064, nread=0
    117064 (  448.3 kb/s) \mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_cmp.exe
Error reading file \mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_dig.exe. Got 0 bytes
Didn't get entire file. size=121960, nread=79566
    121960 (  773.4 kb/s) \mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_dig.exe
ERRDOS - ERRbadfid (Invalid file handle.) opening remote file
\mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_read.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
ERRDOS - ERRbadfid (Invalid file handle.) opening remote file
\mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_reduce.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
ERRDOS - ERRbadfid (Invalid file handle.) opening remote file
\mgc-c4\lib\tsdb_write.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)
ERRDOS - ERRbadfid (Invalid file handle.) opening remote file
\mgc-c4\lib\fanal.exe (\mgc-c4\lib\)

Mentor Graphics (mgc) does use symlinks extensively, but the links all
appear correct.  Certainly for the files above that are failing for
some reason.

Mark