NT 4.0 Servers not seeing SAMBA share

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Sun Sep 23 17:32:02 GMT 2001

Bob,
Firstly can the other NT machines see the PDC? If they can, then there is
likely already a WINS server present. Check in the PDC (you need to be an
administrator to do this) in the Network Control-Panel, Protocols Tab,
TCP/IP Protocol. In the TCP/IP dialogue go to the WINS tab and see what
server / servers are specified. The top one is probably the primary one, so
enter a line into the smb.conf file containing that IP. The format is

wins server = w.x.y.z

where w.x.y.z is the IP. The only other way I know of that will allow the NT
boxes to find each other over a wan (or other routed network) is using an
lmhosts file. If this is how it is working, then you should seriously
consider going to a WINS based solution as lmhosts file can very easily get
out of sync and cause big headaches for the administrator. Even Microsoft
does not recommend them in networks much larger that their pier to pier
definition (10 machines)