Weird Folder Looping

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Thu Sep 20 17:44:02 GMT 2001

Mark,
You could do a few different things to get around that. The first is you can
set the do not follow sym links in the smb.conf file, which means the sym
links remain on the file system. This only causes a problem if you are
attempting to back up remotely using smb as the communication protocol.
Perhaps what you might consider doing is setting up a cron job on the
machine that is being backed up and get it to write the tar file directly
onto the server doing the backups using smbmount. ie mount up a directory on
the backup server and then locally run tar and dump the backup onto the
mounted directory. Alternatively, if you must run the backup from the backup
server, you may have to carefully select options so that it doesn't engage
in infinite recursion of sub-directories. You may be able to limit the
number of directory levels with smbtar, or, alternatively, you could run
find with options to make it aware of the excluded directories (fully
qualified, as you want them backed up at least once) and it will produce for
you a list of all the files currently on the filesystem which can then be
passed to tar / smbtar / cpio / other miscellaneous backup tool

Regards
David Atkinson

System Administrator
Solectron Australia