File Size on Disk

Greg J. Zartman greg at kwikfind.com
Tue Sep 18 10:10:05 GMT 2001

Jeremy,

I'm currently setup with a Samba 2.2.1a PDC on Mandrake Linux.  The hard
drive in question is 20 GB in size, divided (not partitioned) into three
shares.  The main share, projects, contains the bulk of our project data.
This data ranges from MS Word documents, to AutoCAD drawings, to ARC/INFO
coverages.

Our client machines are Win2000 SP1 workstations.  From my Win2k
workstation, if I right click on one of my project directories, in the
projects share, Win2k reports that the Size is 233MB and the Size on disk is
949MB (big difference isn't it).

Following is the compile options that I used to compile my version of Samba
from a CVS download:
./configure --with-configdir=/etc --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --wi
th-smbmount --with-privatedir=/etc/private --libdir=/etc --localstatedir=/va
r/log --with-lockdir=/var/lock/samba

By the way, do you have any insight on the issue with current CVS "pulls" of
Samba 2.2.x and Win98?  Specifically, Win98 can access shares on the Samba
machine but nothing else.  I've made a couple posts to the news group about
this, but no one seems to know what the issue is.  I can provide more info
if needed.

Thank you.

Regards,

Greg Zartman