Disable plaintext password

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp7 at mindspring.com
Wed Oct 31 05:13:04 GMT 2001

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Samba and Win9X with the option Encrypted password=No,
>
> and now I wanted to change to Encrypted password=Yes. So I changed the
> option in Samba, restarted smbd and nmbd. Then I wnt to Win9X registry
> and changed
> EnablePlainTeaxtPassword-value to 0. Then I restarted my Windows
> machine. But I could not log in to Samba anyway.
> Can anyone help on this?
>
> Have a nice day where ever you are
>
> c-g hallberg

I'm not sure, but you may need to make use of the 'update encrypted' option
in your smb.conf.  Look at man smb.conf and see what it says about that.  I
know the parameter is made to be used when migrating from plain text
passwords to encrypted passwords.  I guess you could always reset the
machine account and rejoin the workgroup/domain.  I believe this would
update the password in smbpasswd to be encrypted but I'm just guessing
here - .

James