Some questions about networking with NT/Win2K ...

Adam Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Oct 30 19:04:02 GMT 2001

>I've had 2.2.1a working well on a small network with Win98 clients for some time
>now.  I'm having a bit of a struggle getting a Win2K client working, though.  I
>think the problem is as much my lack of understanding of NT/2000 as of Samba.
>Answers to any of the following questions would be of help as I try to get things
>up and running:
>1. What exactly does Win2K mean by a "computer account"?

An entity that represents a workstation,  just as a user account is an
entitiy that represents a user.  These exist so that security contexts
can be applied to the workstation as well as the user,  required for any
"real" security model.  Kerberos requires much the same thing,  it
simply just refers to them as host principles vs. user principles.

> 2. How is this different from a "user account"?

What it represents,  it serves the same purpose,  aplying a security
context.

> 3. What is the difference between a "global" and a "local" user account?

A domain user exists n the security context of the domain,  and thus is
"known" to any server/workstation in the domain.  A local user exists
only in the security context of the local machine.

> 4. What is the difference between a "workgroup" and a "domain"?

A workgroup is a collection of names,  a domain is a security context in
which entities exist.

>In addition, any hints on what I need to modify (eg. smb.conf, passwords, etc.) to
>use Win2K clients (given that I have a setup which works for Win98 clients) would
>be much appreciated.

This is clearly documented on the Samba web site.