Samba 2.2.1a/2.2.2 install with Win2000ServerSP2

Nicolas nicolas at nickky.ca
Tue Oct 30 10:24:13 GMT 2001

I am currently running Samba perfectly as a PDC
with Windows 98, Windows ME Clients... but yesterday
we passed the whole night to simply add a
Windows 2000 Server SP2 Server to the Domain
and either it's always keeping asking for a
valid username and password with rights to add the
machine to the domain.

But I added the machine name to the password files with the $
then I did the smbpasswd -a -m <machinename>

I also tried to add a completly different username
and password with administrator rights in smb.conf.

still returning me an error...
We found on another mailing list an issue with the type
of Encryption behing different in 2000 Server SP2.

Help! :-) We dont want to transfer our users to Windows 2000 Server SP2
we want to keep using this good and stable samba.

Best Regards,
Nicolas Rolland
nicolas at nickky.ca