help, with domain fallout problem

Paul Smith pauls at SCCWRP.ORG
Tue Oct 30 08:52:24 GMT 2001

I've been installing a new samba server onto our local domain and I've
run into a major problem.  The domain controller and backup domain
controller are Nt boxes.  I have another samba server on the network as
well.  Both the new samba server and the one I previously had are set to
point to the Nt domain controller for authentication.

Here's my blunder which seems to be resulting in a catastrophe:

To join the new samba server to the domain I used Server Manager to
create the account "as an Nt workstation or Member server" then at the
linux samba box I typed:
smbpasswd -r "my domain controller server" -j "domain name" -U
administrator

then I got prompted for a password, which I typed  in.  Then I hear some
noise on the domain controller and I get back an error on the linux
samba terminal.  My workstation (nt workstation) gets an administrative
message indicating that the lmsass.exe has terminated.  I can't log into
the domain controller (message states "The system cannot log you on
(C0000037) please try again or consult your system administrator).  All
the nt workstations can see the domain controller, but cannot access
it.  The backup domain controller is giving my error messages now as
well.

Help! what do I do.

Has the new samba server taken over the domain controller position, if
so how do I revert it.

Thank you for any help,

Paul
pauls at sccwrp.org