XP netbios and mutiple subnets

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Tue Oct 30 00:50:07 GMT 2001

To use multiple subnets you need to be using WINS. You can get around this
by setting up your a samba server to act as a wins server and act as a
broadcast proxy. the options are :

wins support = yes
wins proxy = yes

but for this to work you need to have a samba server on each subnet. The
samba servers on other subnets need to have options like :

wins server = 10.20.30.40
wins proxy = yes

You can use an NT machine as the wins server. Just set up all the samba
machines as with the second options. (wins server = x.x.x.x). Ideally though
you would want to (eventually) move all the clients to using a wins server
directly, rather than through proxy broadcasts.

The other option is far uglier. You can setup lmhost files. there should be
a file called lmhosts or lmhosts.sam in your windows directory. You can use
this as a basis, but I would not recommend this for the same reason I would
not recommend using host files in place of DNS.