Samba 2.2.2 with winbind in a W2K-domain

Hüls, Klaus-Dieter huels at mk-ag.de
Mon Oct 29 05:06:01 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have problems to authenticate a W2K-client against a
samba-2.2.2-server with winbind in a W2K-domain.

The samba-server appears correctly in the network neighbourhood, but
when trying to list the shares I just get another window to enter
usersname and pwd.

When trying wbinfo on the samba-server all users and groups of the
domain are listed up correctly, so nsswitch.conf seams to be configured
correctly. I also edited pam.d/samba for authentication with
pam_winbind.so, but that does not seam to work.

My questions :
Is pam-configuration necessary to access the samba-shares via winbind ?
When trying to join the samba-server to the W2K-domain I wanted to use
samedit. But the tool is missing ! Does anybody know if it should be
included in Samba-2.2.2 ? I joined my Samba-Server manually on the
W2K-server.

The configuration is as follows :
	- PDC : W2K Server (Domain-Name : MKW2K)
	- "Member"-Srv : Samba-2.2.2 with winbind (SuSE Linux 7.2,
Kernel 2.4.4)
	- Client : W2K professional (Member of the W2K-Domain)

Snap of my smb.conf :

[global]
        workgroup = MKW2K
        netbios name = MKTEST