Linux, Samba, and Macintosh's

DavidAtkinson at solectron.com DavidAtkinson at solectron.com
Thu Oct 25 19:44:03 GMT 2001

There is no common locking system that I'm aware of, but mostly this isn't
an issue. The biggest problem I find is keeping the passwords in sync if you
use encrypted passwords for Samba or Netatalk. I believe that there is,
however, some work being done on file locking issues by the Netatalk team
which is noted in their FAQ'o'matic and mailing lists. You can also get
around this by setting up the mac and pc users with separate shares and only
put what has to be common in common shares. It should (in most cases be
documents that are being worked on). If you advise your users to be careful
and keep regular backups you should be fine.

Regards,
David Atkinson

System Administrator
Solectron Australia