Forgot subject: usrmgr and srvmgr for Samba 2.2.2 PDC

Manuela.Guandalini at sinnerschrader.com Manuela.Guandalini at sinnerschrader.com
Thu Oct 25 10:33:16 GMT 2001

On 25.10.2001 17:17:38 Scheufen Stephan wrote:

> Hi Manu,
> go for the samba 2.2.2.
> look then into ../docs/htmldocs/winbind.htm
> there you find a very (!) good recept to setup what you want.
> additional to that you need to use a ACL capable filesystem like XFS or
> EXT2/3. Anyhow you must patch the kernel to support ACLs.
>
> the mailinglist has a mail her where you can see some URLs about ACLs.
> Just look...;-)
>
> regards
> Stephan
Hi Stephan,
thank u for your answer.
I've been reading this howtos many many times already and always get
confused on many points:
a) What does the option security have to do with all this? Should i use
security = domain on my PDC too, or should i just use it on other servers,
which join the same domain?
b) My passwds are doubled (/etc/passwd because of nis, and
/etc/samba/smbpasswd because of samba) on the PDC. How am i supposed to
join the DOMPDC through
    `smbpasswd -j DOM -r DOMPDC -Uadministrator%password`, if i use
'security = domain' on the PDC??? Does it mean, that a PDC always has
'security=users' set?
c) Who the heck is the (samba) administrator if not root??? The option
'domain admin group' didn't help that much....
d) How should i use the winbind deamon, if i have no NT PDC? I read
somewhere (forgot where), that it just works to translate NT policies into
linux, but not on reverse. Is it true?
I'm just getting crazy trying to figure out, which is the role of 'security
= domain',  which the one of winbindd, and how they interact. ACL makes it
all more complicated, but i believe u are right when u say, i need it
setted up. I sure already read, that the regular kernel needs a patch. I'll
take care of that. (But 'nt acl support = no' must be set against W2K
sp2!!!).
Uff. Not so easy, ain't it?
I just heard, that i will get testing machines to figure this all out. If
it will work, i'll write a recept (i love recepts: step by step help) to
the list.
Hope i make it.
Thanks again.
ciao