problems sharing print drivers between NT4 and W2K

Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com
Wed Oct 24 02:39:05 GMT 2001

When I setup HP Laserjet 4050TN printers in Samba-2.2.2 on NT it sets up the
printers correctly in the print$ share,  adding an extra tray and duplex unit.
When I add these printers on a NT4 machine as a normal domain user it picks up
the extra trays ok,  but if I add the printers to W2K machines there is no
extra tray or duplex unit.   Setting up the printer on a W2K machine and adding
it to a W2K machine works,  but similarly adding it to NT4 it looses the extra
tray and duplex unit.

This doesn't seem to happen with other types of HP printer (4000 and 4M+).  Is
there a problem with this printer driver?  Should I be storing the print$ share
in a separate directory for NT and W2K,  i.e.  add %a ??

[print$]
  comment = Printer Drivers
  path = /home/samba/%a/printers
  guest ok = yes
  read only = yes
  browseable = yes
  write list = @ntadmin,root

--
Michael Keightley <Michael.Keightley at quadstone.com>    Tel: +44 131 240 3137
Systems Manager,  Quadstone Limited,                   Fax: +44 131 220 4492