Is possible to use NT2000 user database as a single point of authentification?

Arnold Andrews X-324-4292 aandrews at eng.okla.seagate.com
Tue Oct 23 08:32:04 GMT 2001

> From: "Oscar Alvarez" <oalvarez at prisacom.com>
> To: <samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org>
> Subject: Is possible to use NT2000 user database as a single point of
authentification?
> Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:42:57 +0200
>
> I just want to use Samba for common directory exporting for all the 2000
domain users. I don't want to maintain a Samba user's database at Linux, i want
to manage all user/passwd from NT.
> Reading Samba doc's allways speak about a NT  and then UNIX password masking,
can i exclude this UNIX authentification?

> Thanks in Advance.
>
> Oscar Alvarez

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, but I have a hard time keeping up with the list.  If
you are still looking for a possible solution to your problem, read on...

You can authenticate through an NT domain by setting "security = domain", and
the "password server =" parameter, however you will still need to have matching
names for the NT username on the Unix box.  These can be local "/etc/passwd", or
NIS.  If the names don't match exactly, then you can use the "username map ="
parameter to point to a file which maps the Unix user name to the windows user
name(s) to be associated with the Unix account.

Hope that helps,

Arnold Andrews
MCAD/Unix Systems Adminstrator
Seagate Technology, LLC