Using Samba for WINS

Kevin Metz KMetz at psakids.com
Mon Oct 22 14:00:39 GMT 2001

Our company just recently switched our WINS mechanism from Windows NT to
Linux using Samba. Eveything seems to work just fine except for one problem,
when using "Network Neighborhood" to browse the network when on a LAN you
can get to every server and resource, however if your on the WAN you cannot
browse to one server. This server is our mail server, it is an NT 4.0 server
running Exchange 5.5, it also serves as the internal mail server and
internet mail server, it also uses an application called Web Outlook. You
cannot ping it by name, and for some reason in the Samba wins.dat file the
server is not registering quite properly as the other servers, the numeric
attributes are not "00", "03", and "20", instead they are "6a" and "87". Has
anyone ever heard of this issue? Any help or information would be greatly
appreciated.