SMB 2.2.2 PDC w/WIN2K SP2 clients

Meyer, Aaron Aaron.Meyer at BakerHughes.com
Mon Oct 22 13:16:05 GMT 2001

Could you post a trunkated log file to the list so we get the daemon
messages from Samba's side.

		Aaron Meyer  LNXRLZ, MSSKS, 2kBLWS

-----Original Message-----
From: amoote at fpelectronics.com [mailto:amoote at fpelectronics.com]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 3:04 PM
To: samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org
Subject: SMB 2.2.2 PDC w/WIN2K SP2 clients

I have been slaving over this problem for weeks now.  I have used Samba in
the past, but now we are trying to use it as a PDC and I am having one
final problem that is really ticking me off.  For all I know it's just a
simple setting that I am missing.  I starting working with Samba 2.2.1a on
RH Linux 7.1 and have recently upgraded to 2.2.2 hoping to resolve my
conflict.
Said conflict is the inability to login to the SMB domain from Windows
2000.  I thought it may have been the SP2 issue everyone has been chatting
about, but I tried it without ANY service packs and it still fails.  I made
the root accoutn in the smbpasswd file and was able to initially join the
domain, but after rebooting I cannot login as a user.  Windows 98/ME works
fine, logon scripts and all.  The error message I receive is:

"The system cannot log you into this domain because the system's computer
account in it's primary domain is missing or the password on that account
is incorrect."

The account I am trying to use works when logging in from Windows 98/ME.  I
am not versed in NT accounts, I come from a Linux/NetWare background.  This
may be my problem.  ;)
Any ideas?  If you could redirect me to a previous post which deals with
this issue that too would be fine.

Regards,

Alan B. Moote
Systems Administrator