problems joining a NT domain

Scott Mann Scott.Mann at lefthandnetworks.com
Mon Oct 22 10:06:04 GMT 2001

Stephan,

There may be other ways to do this, but here is how I got
it working.

Assume that your W2K domain controller is called W2K for DOMAIN
and your Linux/Samba client is lsam.

On W2K go to "Active Directory Users and Computers." Select
Action->New->Computer (if you've already done this, delete the
existing entry first). When the window to add the computer
comes up, fill in the computer name field and then click the
Change button to the right of the "User or group:" grayed out
field. A pop-up list will display---select "Pre-Windows 2000
Compatible." Then complete the add computer process by clicking
OK (or Apply--whatever it is).

At this point you can go to the Linux/samba systems and
execute:

lsam# smbpasswd -j DOMAIN

NOTE: do not use -r or -U.

At this point the system "lsam" should be joined in the domain.

Hope this helps.
Scott