Newbie...confused on the basics...

Rebecca Pakish rebecca at unterlaw.com
Fri Oct 19 14:00:05 GMT 2001

Hi all...

I'm new to Samba, new to Linux and well, I'm not all that terribly strong
with NT administration. We're moving into the wonderful world of Linux, and
I've been charged with the new backup and recovery system. I've chosen
amanda to go through samba to pull from my NT boxes.

I'm running my amanda/samba server all on one RH 7.1 box in testing right
now. Running samba 2.0.10. Using SWAT and Webmin and anything else that
seems to make this easy (*aspiring command-line junkie, but I'm not there
yet*)

My questions are these:

1.
Right now I can see my samba server (salad) on all of my NT boxes (there are
3).
When I go into the server manager, I can see salad there, as well, listed as
a Windows NT 4.2 Server (I didn't put this here, and don't know where it
picked up the 4.2 part) and the description is saying "Samba server"
(because my smb.conf told it to, which is inspiring...at least I know the
two are speaking)

I never could run the
smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -r PDCname
command without getting an error involving NT_STATUS_NO_TRUST_SAM_ACCOUNT. I
understand this means that the NT setup isn't kosher, but I don't know what
to do about it. I can double click on salad in the nethood and see the
shares and access them all I want.

Don't I still need to join the domain...with the above command, or did this
magically happen for me somehow without me knowing it?

2.
To use the amanda amrecover, amrestore features...it's my understanding that
you have to cd into the area where the file originally lived and run the
amrecover command from that spot to recover the file. How in the world do I
access my NT box from my Samba server. There are volumes of information on
getting to my samba server from NT, but I can't find any commands to get me
from samba to my nt shares? I realize it's probably so basic it's just
silly, but I'm truly a novice here.

Can someone please help me before I go insane? I've got several books and
I'm pouring through the archives trying to find some answers. I cannot be
the only sys admin trying to run this kind of setup....HELP???

rap

Rebecca A. Pakish
Systems Administrator
Unterberg & Associates, P.C.