server not setup for transactions

Stuart Fraser succhi at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 18 02:50:21 GMT 2001

I have tried numerous times to get PDC working but with the same problem
occuring over and over.  (Thank you to those who tried to help on that
issue).  So I decided to try a simple non-pdc samba setup so I could see my
linux box in my workgroup.  My non-PDC smb.conf and PDC smb.conf are found
below.  I use Samba2.2.1a and Mandrake8.0.  My client is Win XP with passwd
encryption on and the suggested "domain member: signature.... (always)"
option disabled.

I can now see the linux machine and my own computer in "Network
Neighbourhood" which was more than when running as PDC. But when I try and
browse the linux machine I still get the message "\\Ds7 is not accessible.
You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
.....  The server is not configured for transactions".  Same as the previous
messages but before "\\Ds7 is not..." was replaced with "UQI is not..." and
I couldn't browse the linux machine or see my computer which joined the
domain fine.

This leads me to believe if I can fix the "server is not configured for
transactions error" with the plain old setup I will be able to run it fine
as a PDC as the error is the same.

Any help would be most appreciated

Stu

Non PDC version

[global]
       netbios name = DS7
       workgroup = UQI
       os level = 64
       preferred master = no
       domain master = no
       local master = no
       security = user
       password level = 7
       encrypt passwords = yes

   hosts allow = 192.168.3. 127.
   interfaces = 192.168.3.1/24
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   ;wins support = yes
   ;wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

[netlogon]
   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
   writeable = no
   write list = root, person1

[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browsable = yes
   writable = yes
   force create mode = 0705
   force directory mode = 0705

PDC version. below

[global]
       netbios name = DS7
       workgroup = UQI
       os level = 64
       preferred master = yes
       domain master = yes
       local master = yes
       remote announce = 192.168.3.255
       security = user
       password level = 7
       encrypt passwords = yes
       domain logons = yes
       logon drive = X:
       logon script = logon.cmd
       add user script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s /bin/false
-M %u

   hosts allow = 192.168.3. 127.
   interfaces = 192.168.3.1/24
   name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
   ;wins support = yes
   ;wins proxy = yes
   dns proxy = no
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
   domain guest group = person1, person2, person3
   domain admin group = @smbadm