Probably a simple question...

James W. Beauchamp jbeauchamp at gesinc.com
Wed Oct 17 12:56:02 GMT 2001

HI:
When you try to browse the samba server from the win client, samba attempts
to authenticate you by looking for the username that you are logged onto the
win client with as well as the smb name of the win client.  Therefore I
believe you need to create a user account and machine account on the samba
machine for the person you are logged into the win box as.  Then when you
connect, samba will look at etc/passwd and find that username and password
and then allow you to see whatever shares you have authority to view on the
box.  This is how my system works here.  I do not do domain logins, just
authenticate users on a per share basis at they time they try to connect to
a service.  I'm surprised that windoze didn't give you the box that says
something like "that user id is not valid, enter a user id and password that
you would like to connect as"

HTH

James