samba-winbind NT authentication.

junk1 at sach.mailshell.com junk1 at sach.mailshell.com
Tue Oct 16 10:23:06 GMT 2001

Hi,

We have a set of Solaris boxes are installed with Samba code. The user population is NT based. We want to
provide authentication services on the Solaris boxes for NT users. So far we have got it working by installing
SAMBA 2.2 and modifying the client.c(samba\samba-2.2.1a\source\client) program that comes with samba
installation. This work well but it uses smbserver to connect and validate users on the NT domain.
I have some questions in this approach:-

1) What level of Window Lan Manager protocol does samba use?
2) Will it work seamlessly with Win2K boxes.?

The 2nd option is to use Winbind daemon on the solaris box to authenticate users. However winbind works with
PAM and NSS. As I understand I will have to write in my application code that call PAM library functions to
authenticate users. These in turn will call winbindd daemon, which will authenticate against Windows NT domain.
I have 2 questions here:-

1) Can I directly take the winbind code and integrate it with my application quickly and in that process
bypass PAM and NSS. What are the pros and cons of this approach?
2)	What level of Window Lan Manager protocol does winbind work againsts?
3)	 Is winbind authentication thread safe?(can i do multiple logons)
4)	Will it work seamlessly with Windows 2000 server boxes or do i need some changes in code.?

I would really appreciate a  quick response to this message.

Thanks,

Sachin