Samba as a PDC with ldap backend

Samba Admin samba at denverdata.com
Tue Oct 16 09:59:04 GMT 2001

Joachim,

I've had Samba 2.2.1a and now Samba 2.2.2 running with OpenLDAP as the SAM
database. I have a small number of users that were already being
authenticated via pam/nss to LDAP, so I just updated the accounts by hand
with the info from my old smbpasswd.

To get 2.2.2 against LDAP add the following to the global section of you
smb.conf:

   ldap server = <ldap host>
   ldap port = <ldap host port, 389 default)
   ldap suffix = <ldap host suffix>
   ldap admin dn = <dn of admin user in LDAP, not necessarily the LDAP
manager,
      but should have permissions to write any sambaAccount and some
posixAccount
      attrs>

Once that is done, run smbpasswd as root as follows:
   smbpasswd -w <password for ldap admin dn>

This puts the password in the secrets.tdb.

Samba 2.2.2 is proving a challenge in that it appears the handling of a
users rid is inconsistent. Sometimes it is treated as a decimal number,
sometime hex -- at least that's what I'm observing so far.

User Manager for Domains is proving a good test for the validity of your
LDAP entries. If you can double click a user account and view its
properties, the entry is should be good. Editting those properties is not
currently working via User Manager...

HTH,
Doug