URGENT HELP NEEDED

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sat Oct 13 14:24:42 GMT 2001

On Sat, Oct 13, 2001 at 04:20:49PM -0500, Tony Ricker wrote:
> All,
>     I need to know if samba can be a PDC across subnets (i.e. server is
> no .23 and client is on .24) I was told by Redhat that it could not,
> which I found hard to believe. This is mission critical because if I can
> not find a way to make it work, i get the proverbial pie in the face.
> Plus all kinds of crap about pushing for Linux and telling them (boss)
> it would work. Any help at all would be appreciated.
>
> Set up: Redhat 7.1 Samba 2.2.1a

Yes, it can. You need a WINS server setup correctly so that the
PDC will register names correctly with it, and the clients will
resolve names correctly with it. Samba 2.2.1a can be that WINS server.
I'm about to release Samba 2.2.2 (with a RH7.1 binary) which will
fix many of the known issues with Samba 2.2.1a. You might want
to test drive it over the next few days.

As my ex-boss at VA has just joined RedHat (along with most of
VA's professional services team) I'll forward this reply to him
also so he can work on fixing RedHat's internal tech support
replies w.r.t. Samba.

Cheers,

	Jeremy Allison,
	Samba Team.