Samba Newbie

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Thu Oct 11 23:33:05 GMT 2001

> Lynn,
> Just got my samba working with win2k and running on Linux 7.1.
> Important steps are:
> 1) enable encrypted passwords in the registry on Windows.
They are enabeled by default. If you want to use your step 3) then
you do not have to touch the registry. If you want encrypted
passwords = no, then you have to change the windwos registry to allow
windows to send plaintext passwords if the server (= samba) does not
work with encrypted passwords. This step may be called "disable
encrypted passwords", but they are not realy disabled and can be used
with other servers on the same time.

> 2) add the user on the Samba server with the "password -a username"
> command.
you mean "smbpasswd -a username"?

> 3) Enable encrypted password = yes in smb.conf.
> 4) restart smbd and nmbd after changes to the smb.conf file
> hth,
> Jim
>
> Lynn Turriff wrote:
>
> > I've been lurking here for a month or six weeks or so,
> > and would just like to point out that the samba docs
> > are sometimes something less than useful to a linux
> > newbie.
> >
> > I have read the docs and man files, and have several
> > linux manuals, but still can't get my system to
> > acknowledge my NT4 network, much less communicate with
> > it. I have reloaded RH 7.1 several times. I can ping
> > all the machines on the net, but obviously something is
> > dead wrong somewhere in the samba configuration.
> > Ironically, I can get mail and surf through my NT
> > proxy, but have made exactly zero progress with samba.
> >
> > I have tried without success to find some local brains
> > to pick. Someone suggested to me that it might be
> > easiest to communicate with my NT net via ftp and
> > telnet - this actually might be a useful solution in my
> > case, except that it doesn't allow me to access any
> > printers, and when I went looking for printer
> > information, well ...  And it wouldn't help those who
> > are trying to replace NT servers altogether, which is
> > my ultimate goal.
> >
> > So rtfm is not *always* the answer ... thanks anyway.
> >
> > And undying gratitude to anyone who would care to help
> > those of us out who have read so much documentation
> > that we are about to hit cranial meltdown :-)
> >
> > Direct email is great in my case.
> >
> > tnx,
> >
> > Lynn
> >
> > > Perhaps it's a good idea to start reading the Samba documentation,
> > > which
> > > contains a step by step guide to install and configure samba.
> > >
> > > grtz,
> > > Dennis

> > [snip]
> >
> > mailto:lynnt at macnet.com         * * *    Aun Aprendo
> > I'd rather be WARP'ed    * * *      Team OS/2
> >
> > http://www.sites.onlinemac.com/hawthorne/

               _(_)_                          wWWWw   _