Samba and NIS+

Steve Langasek vorlon at minbar.dodds.net
Thu Oct 11 21:11:07 GMT 2001

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 06:59:22PM -0700, Akop Pogosian wrote:
> I am wondering what is the advantage of storing the smbpasswd data in
> a NIS+ table as opposed to a plain smbpasswd file. Does anyone know?
> Thanks.

If you are already using NIS+ on your network, you can leverage this
infrastructure to distribute the ntlm passwords to all of your Unix
servers, so that you can use the same usernames and passwords for
encrypted logins to all fileshares without setting up an NT domain / PDC
on the network.  For some people who don't have an NT PDC, this might be
a good option, because NIS+ has better redundancy than Samba PDC's
currently do.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer