samba and winbind

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Thu Oct 11 03:54:06 GMT 2001

Lars O. Grobe wrote:

>Hi!
>
>This sounds promising. Is it possible to use encrypted passwords with
>ldap?
>
>Thank You, CU, Lars.

Yes, LDAP can use _unix_ encrypted passwords, but not yet samba
encrypted passwords. This is under development, but apparently not very
stable. If you set pam_smb up to do the password side, though, then you
can use samba encrypted passwords. pam_smb will only authenticate for
one domain currently (set in a config file /etc/pam_smb.conf), so you
would have to sync smb passwords for multiple domains (using perl
scripts available in samba-2.2.1a as a cron to import/export samba
passwords from LDAP). I have not tested this yet, but it is on my list
(for our remote facility).

Buchan

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202