Access linux files with a NT service program

dennis at evers.2y.net dennis at evers.2y.net
Tue Oct 9 23:37:01 GMT 2001

Hi,

The problem is in the NT system account. The system account doesn't have
privilege to use the network. If you let you service start as a user (which has
to excist on samba of course) the problem should be solved.

grtz,
Dennis

Quoting Christian Barth <barth at cck.uni-kl.de>:

> > Hi,
> >
> > I am very new, in the Unix/linux world.
> > I would like to share linux folders with NT machines. I have Red Hat
> > 6.0, NFS and Samba are up.
> > On my NT (Server, SP6), with the explorer  I can access folder on
> the
> > linux machine, create, read files in these folders... All is Ok.
> > I have a NT program that would do the same. If I execute this
> program
> > as a normal NT process, it works also fine.
> > But if I run this program as a NT service running under system
> > account, it has no more visibility on the linux machine.
> > If it sends a dir command, the respond is 0 file, and I am sure
> there
> > are files in the linux folder.
> What do the samba logs say in this case?
> I assume the respons "0 files" is just an other buggy windows message
> and should be an "access denyed": If the programm runs as service,
> which user uses it to connect to samba? Is this user allowed to
> connect with out a password? If a password is required: Has the
> service the password stored some where.
>
> Try what happens if you set up the share with "guest ok = yes", "map
> to guest = bad user" and "null passwords = yes" and setup a valid
> guest account Read man smb.conf about the serve security impact of
> this!! Just do it for a short term test and if it works look for a
> better solution!
>
> > If I do the same between two NT machines, to allow the NT service to
> > see files on a remote NT,
> > i have to share the remote folder and to modify the remote registry
> > key :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\Nul
lSessionShares