Access linux files with a NT service program

Christian Barth barth at cck.uni-kl.de
Tue Oct 9 23:22:02 GMT 2001

> Hi,
>
> I am very new, in the Unix/linux world.
> I would like to share linux folders with NT machines. I have Red Hat
> 6.0, NFS and Samba are up.
> On my NT (Server, SP6), with the explorer  I can access folder on the
> linux machine, create, read files in these folders... All is Ok.
> I have a NT program that would do the same. If I execute this program
> as a normal NT process, it works also fine.
> But if I run this program as a NT service running under system
> account, it has no more visibility on the linux machine.
> If it sends a dir command, the respond is 0 file, and I am sure there
> are files in the linux folder.
What do the samba logs say in this case?
I assume the respons "0 files" is just an other buggy windows message
and should be an "access denyed": If the programm runs as service,
which user uses it to connect to samba? Is this user allowed to
connect with out a password? If a password is required: Has the
service the password stored some where.

Try what happens if you set up the share with "guest ok = yes", "map
to guest = bad user" and "null passwords = yes" and setup a valid
guest account Read man smb.conf about the serve security impact of
this!! Just do it for a short term test and if it works look for a
better solution!

> If I do the same between two NT machines, to allow the NT service to
> see files on a remote NT,
> i have to share the remote folder and to modify the remote registry
> key : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters\NullSessionShares
> to add the name of the shared folder.
Not being an expert for NT: "NullSessionShares" looks like "null
passwords" or some thing similar.

Christian

> Is there a similar thing to do with linux
>
> Thanks a  lot for your help
>

> Raphaël Roung
>
> rroung at smaeur.com
> http://www.sameur.com
>
> raphael at roung.com
> http://www.roung.com

               _(_)_                          wWWWw   _