machine accounts question

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Sat Oct 6 08:19:01 GMT 2001

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001, Tony Ricker wrote:

>     My question is what functionality do machine accounts have in a
> samba PDC set up? I can authenticate a user and use samba shares sans
> any issues, without a machine account. I have done some research but
> have not found any concrete info pertaining to this. I appreciate
> everyone's time.

a machine trust account allows a domain member and a domain controller
to have a shared secret for authenticating the member and ecnrypting
certain traffic between the two.

cheers, jerry
 www.samba.org              SAMBA Team              jerry_at_samba.org
 www.plainjoe.org                                jerry_at_plainjoe.org