Samba PDC password sync

Simo Sorce idra at samba.org
Thu Oct 4 23:52:02 GMT 2001

No.
that script, only create users in smbpasswd from /etc/passwd, do no convert
any password.
The only way to synchronize is to change password with smbpasswd and have unix password sync option in smb.conf.

It is not possible to sync changes made from windows unless you use plain text
passwords, which is impossible in a domain environment.
This is not a problem of samba, this happen becuse encrypted password are sent
from windows and stored as is and does not any function that can convert the
windows encrypted passwords into unix crypt or md5 compatible ones.

Simo Sorce       idra at samba.org