Having major permissions problems

David Mair dmair at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 2 10:45:17 GMT 2001

Hello:

I sent a note a few days ago slightly related to this topic.  We're running
Samba 2.2.1a on RH 7.1 as a PDC.  I've been attempting to setup a
customized security template and group policy objects for W2K clients.  As
I was configuring these I began to notice that whenever I denied
local_machine\users permissions _all_ of my administrative ID's (local and
domain) also became subject to the same permissions.

For example:  I deny read&execute permission for (local_machine\users) on a
particular application.  When applied, NO ONE can run the application
including administrators.  Fortunately, administrator still retains the
right to change permissions.  Am I doing something wrong here?  Anyone else
experienced this same problem?

Specifics:

Samba 2.2.1a on RH 7.1 PDC
Clients are running W2K SP1.

Thanks,

Dave

Consultant, n.:  [From con "to defraud, dupe, swindle," or, possibly,
French con (vulgar) "a person of little merit" + sult elliptical form of
"insult."]  A tipster disguised as an oracle, especially one who has
learned to decamp at high speed in spite of a large briefcase and heavy
wallet.