2.2.1a user/group issues

J. Lucha ninerfan at sbmed.com
Mon Oct 1 15:15:02 GMT 2001

Inspired by Jerry's talk at LinuxWorld, when my co-worker
was having difficulty transitioning our PDC to Windows 2000,
I jumped in and suggested Samba.

Well..we replaced our NT4 PDC with RH 7.1 running Samba 2.2.1a.

So far it's going well..but I do want to mention a couple of issues.
Most of these issues, I've seen mention of in the mailing list,
but didn't see any concrete replies for solutions or status for future fix.

1.)  On a Win98 client, when you create a share, the list
of domain users is not complete.  I've seen various posts with
the wide ranges of numbers for the count of users.  I can only see
the first 97 + Domain Admins + Domain Users + Everyone for a total of
100.  The other posts I saw had a lot fewer, so I guess I should feel
lucky.  I suspect it's a character count thing, and since most of my
accounts are pseudo accounts that are about 3 characters I can get a lot
more of them.

2.)  Jerry, on page 430 of your book, you mention the domain group map
parameter, but as I see on some other mailing list posts (plus the error
logs) that parameter is no longer there.  As is the one for local group
map.  I understand that Samba now auto looks at the local /etc/group
file and treats those as local NT groups..but the problem I have with
that, Is I really need NT Domain Groups, so that I can set a permission
on another Windows machine by a group instead of individually selecting
each user (which I can't even do on a Win9x machine anyway because of
issue #1 above).  Is this a feature that is going to be re-implemented?
(By the way Jerry, good intro book.  I look forward to a more up-to-date
version)

3.) When you add a Windows2000 machine to the domain, and it
prompts for a username/password pair that is authorized to add to the
domain, it only accepts root/root's password.  Not a big deal, just on
  a real NT domain, that prompt usually accepts any username/password
pair for a domain admin.  Samba doesn't make use of the domain admin
group parameter in this case, which caused a little confusion.

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

-Jim
--
James Lucha
San Bernardino Medical Group
E-Mail: ninerfan at sbmed.com

"Linux: Because rebooting is for adding new hardware"