Printer drivers upload from Windows2000 (samba 2.2.1a)

Jim McDonough jmcd at us.ibm.com
Mon Oct 1 06:59:05 GMT 2001

Pierre Burri wrote:
>I'm trying to upload a printer driver (HP Laserjet 2100M) from a
windows2000
>professional with the "Add Printer Wizard" to my Samba Server 2.2.1a. I
have
>create the necessary share [print$] as well as the subdirectories W32X86
and
>WIN40.
>Actualy it almost works, the driver files get copied to the subdirectory,
>W32X86, but the Wizard stops with the message:
>Printer could not be installed, Access denied.
>Access denied to wich directory or file? Of course Windows
>doesn't tell this kind of details....
Looks like you've got access to the directories within the print$ share, or
the files wouldn't have copied...but just to make sure, does the user with
which you are installing these drivers have access?

The log file might give you a clue as to the directory to which access is
being denied.  I've seen that, with /var/spool/samba, I think... what is
the path setting in smb.conf for this printer (or the printers share for
autoloading)?

Jim McDonough
IBM Linux Technology Center
6 Minuteman Drive