Samba 2.2.2 PDC and MS Exchange

Arne Van Renterghem Arne at mediaventures.be
Thu Nov 29 07:00:05 GMT 2001

This is out of memory so beware and doublecheck: I think the most important
command was "isinteg -patch", which is something like converting/patching
the mailboxes to the new usernames/domain (I believe the names need to be
the same, but the domain can be different).

Another way is to use the exmerge utility which extracts the mailboxes from
the current exchange server and can add the to the new server (usernames
have to exist again).

There seems to be a possibility using move mailboxes, but perhaps you have
to create a trust domain account there, which Samba cannot do.

I also found some article on www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm "How
do I move Exchange server to a new server?"

In the microsoft knowledge base there are several articles outlining more or
less similar things.

**********
The problem I found was that most solutions only worked if the exchange
server was also running. But that was just my problem, the information store
did not want to start because it was not consistent with the domain I was
trying to start it in. That's where this isinteg -patch came in (the store
does not need to be started. I do remember making first a blank install,
then creating the users (?), stopping the services and then replacing the
information stores and then running isinteg -patch and at last trying to
start the store service. It was done in one night (but I did have some
experience from a previous crash ...)
*********

Arne