Samba domain logins in security=server mode

Greg Boug gboug at unico.com.au
Tue Nov 27 15:12:28 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I have a samba server handling domain logins which proxies its
authentication
requests to a Windows NT PDC and I'm having trouble attaching a Windows NT
workstation to the network.

Basically, config relating to domain logins is as follows:

	[global]
		security=server
		password server = MRWHIPPYVAN
		local master = yes
		preferred master = yes
		domain master = no
		domain logins = yes

where MRWHIPPYVAN (not real hostname... ;-) is the PDC for the domain.

The machine has a machine account on the PDC, tho that did not seem
to be used. (NT logging leaves a _lot_ to be desired, but I digress)
So I have created a machine account for the NT workstation as described
in the FAQ, which now gives the following line several times in the
log file:

	[2001/11/27 16:02:56, 0] lib/util_sock.c:read_socket_data(477)
  read_socket_data: recv failure for 4. Error = No route to host

First off, any idea which host its trying to communicate with? I've
tested communications with the NT PDC, NT workstation, WINS, DNS and
any other server I thought it _might_ have been trying to talk with,
with no problems at all...

On the NT workstation, I get the following error message:

 "The system cannot log you on to this domain because the systems
computer account in its primary domain is missing or the password
on that account is incorrect."

I'm running Samba 2.0.7 at present... Windows 9x machines have
no problems logging in (no machine account required) so the problem
most likely appears in the machine account authentication.

I guess the main question is whether I can actually do what it is
that I'm attempting to do. I can fairly easily upgrade to Samba 2.2
if required, but I'd only want to do it if its going to work (Samba
2.0.7 is sufficiently stable and I haven't had a chance to play with
2.2 yet, so am unsure of its performance, etc.)

Any help would be appreciated... :-)

Greg