W2K/SP2, samba 2.2.2, "encrypt password = NO" -> no profiles

Ingo Herz herz at et-inf.fho-emden.de
Tue Nov 27 12:44:03 GMT 2001

Hi,

I'm testing a setup of W2K/SP2 (german) with roaming profiles to be stored
on a linux system with samba 2.2.2. We set the new "allow sending plain
passwords ..." and would like to update smbpasswd from NIS to make life
easyer. So I set "encrypt passwords = No" in smb.conf. But now there
is no more access to the profiles share, which works as expected
if "encrypt passwords = Yes". All other shares (home etc.) and user
authentication are running OK with both settings.

Any hints or tips for easy integration of Unix/NIS and Win2K? Now we
are using NCD WinCenter NIS, but it is designed for NT4 and has some
bad effects with W2K DCs.

Thanks,
Ingo

PGP fingerprint: 859C E367 FF87 CFF0 C637  467E D659 5B15 92E2 C583