browsing mystery....

Anthony Brock abrock at georgefox.edu
Mon Nov 26 15:07:02 GMT 2001

I don't know if it's actually rare, or if most people rely of Windows OS
for WINS when Samba fails. We have been attempting to use Samba with WINS
for several years, and have encountered erratic/difficult to diagnose
problems the entire time it has been installed. Perhaps 40% of our networks
don't have a problem, about 10% of our networks function properly
"occasionally", and the remainder have NEVER worked.

This has been persistent from version 2.0.0 through 2.2.2. Unfortunately,
there is almost no assistance available to help with:

1) properly diagnosing if a machine is properly registered,
2) diagnosing how to determine WHAT information it is registering,
3) diagnosing how to pull the information from the WINS server using
Samba's utilities,
4) a step-by-step guide for what SHOULD be seen and how to fix common problems,
5) and what to do when nothing else seems to be working (i.e., a
step-by-step guide to using tcpdump, etc).

In my case, I have given up (after about 10 posts over 3 years asking for
help and no responses which actually help, other than "read diagnose.txt"
which has NOTHING that helps with this problem). I live with hard-coding IP
addresses as they seem to function when WINS fails. Other than WINS, Samba
seems to work great. However, I don't believe they have ever actually
gotten this properly functioning.

Good luck!

Tony

At 03:45 PM 11/26/2001 -0800, stoffer at billen.dk wrote:
>Hi, Sebastian
>Thanks for your response, I'm also trying to solve the problem...
>Anyway, it's nice to hear I'm not alone.....hehe
>I just can't understand why this problem apparently is so rare....

* Anthony Brock                                         abrock at georgefox.edu *
* Director of Network Services                         George Fox University *