NT4.0sp6a PDC, Samba 2.2.2, and winbindd troubles.

Hans Rasmussen hans at sbsfor.com
Mon Nov 26 07:30:11 GMT 2001

Hi All

OK, I've followed the instructions to the letter.  I cannot get winbindd to
work.  Here is the output from winbindd -i -d 5

load_client_codepage: loading codepage 850.
load_unicode_map: loading unicode map for codepage 850.
added interface ip= bcast= nmask=
establishing connections
server: dc=, pwdb_init=0, lsa_hnd=0
resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts lookup for name SBSFOR<0x1c>
getlmhostsent: lmhost entry: localhost
resolve_wins: Attempting wins lookup for name SBSFOR<0x1c>
resolve_wins: WINS server resolution selected and no WINS servers listed.
name_resolve_bcast: Attempting broadcast lookup for name SBSFOR<0x1c>
bind succeeded on port 0
socket option SO_KEEPALIVE = 0
socket option SO_REUSEADDR = 1
socket option SO_BROADCAST = 1
Could not test socket option TCP_NODELAY.
socket option IPTOS_LOWDELAY = 0
socket option IPTOS_THROUGHPUT = 0
socket option SO_SNDBUF = 65535
socket option SO_RCVBUF = 65535
socket option SO_SNDLOWAT = 1
socket option SO_RCVLOWAT = 1
socket option SO_SNDTIMEO = 0
socket option SO_RCVTIMEO = 0
Sending a packet of len 50 to ( on port 137
Received a packet of len 62 from ( port 137
nmb packet from header: id=5433 opcode=Query(0)
    header: flags: bcast=No rec_avail=No rec_des=Yes trunc=No auth=Yes
    header: rcode=0 qdcount=0 ancount=1 nscount=0 arcount=0
    answers: nmb_name=SBSFOR<1c> rr_type=32 rr_class=1 ttl=300000
    answers   0 char ......   hex E000C0A8000A
Got a positive name query response from ( )
bind succeeded on port 0
Sending a packet of len 50 to ( on port 137
Sending a packet of len 50 to ( on port 137
could not find any domain controllers for domain SBSFOR

OK, so this is what I've tried so far.  I've put my PDC in the LMHOSTS file
on the samba server.  I've made the samba server a wins server.  These all
work, I get a positive name query for each.  Joining the domain works fine.
However, I cannot set 'password = *' in my smb.conf file, I have to
explicitly tell samba which server is the password server.  I cannot connect
to samba shares otherwise.  wbinfo -t says ...  "Could not check secret"
wbinfo -u say "Error looking up domain users"

So, if I read this right, winbind is finding my PDC through name resolution,
bind in this case, but when it tries to check it, it get's no response.
Assuming that I've set winbind up properly, would this indicate a fault in
my NT box.  All my M$ clients see the box as the PDC.  The only thing that
might be weird with the PDC is taht it was promoted from a BDC when I
upgraded our network and got rid of our old PDC.  I'd really like to get
this to work, it sounds like a great idea from the samba people.  Please
excuse the cross post of this to samba and samba domain.  If any more info
is needed by all the gurus, don't hesitate to ask.



More information about the samba-ntdom mailing list