NT Printer drivers in 2.2.1a

Buchan Milne bgmilne at cae.co.za
Mon Nov 26 03:28:01 GMT 2001

>Message: 5
>From: Stephen Taylforth <stephen at ribblesdale.org>
>Subject: NT Printer drivers in 2.2.1a
>To: samba-ntdom at lists.samba.org
>Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 13:13:08 GMT
>
>Hello, I'm a relative newcomer to Linux and am evaluating the possiblity of moving Our wholly NT4
>network to Windows 2000 Clients talking to Samba Servers. I have a couple of old machines set up
>with stock Mandrake 8.1 and Samba 2.2.1a and working through what we need to do to achieve our
>aims.

Before you start, I would suggest you update to samba-2.2.2-1mdk
available at http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/samba. If you haven't
invested too much effort in your current smb.conf file, please copy your
share definitions into /etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew, and then copy
/etc/samba/smb.conf.rpmnew to /etc/samba/smb.conf. I will tell you why
below.

Also, please take a look at the documentation at
http://mandrakeuser.org/connect/csamba.html, there are updated versions
of some of those pages at:
http://ranger.dnsalias.com/mandrake/muo/connect/csamba6.html

>I have met a problem I can't resolve. I want to use the samba as a print server but I can't Make samba
>accept the NT drivers with the 'New Driver' method in the howto.  The drivers are uploaded to the
>server, but it falls at the final hurdle and  Windows gives the 'Unable to change to the specified
>driver,original settings will be restored' Message.

We have fixed one or two packaging issues and entries in the default
smb.conf file that relate specifically to this issue in
samba-2.2.2-1mdk. It can be made to work in the default package, but you
should probably update to 2.2.2 anyway. If you want to stick with
2.2.1a, mail be back and I will tell you what must be done.

>I've scoured the internet and this problem seems to be common, I've tried all the 'fixes' I've found all to
>no avail. I cannot get The APW method to work either. I'm using CUPS and I've added the printer from
>the CUPS web interface with no problems. I can get the printer to work from windows using a local
>driver but not to get the drivers to work from the server.
>
>>From my poking around I believe it may be something to do with compile time options but compiling
>doesn't sound like something I should be getting involved in if I can avoid it.
>

>Heres smb.conf . There is probably a whole lot of rubbish in here through playing with options etc

I would suggest you avoid SWAT until you have read through the whole of
the provided smb.conf file, as almost all the configuration you will
ever want to do has got working and tested examples commented out in the
file. SWAT deletes comments, so if you want a web-based config tool,
rather use webmin (which is ssl encrypted also) at
https://<your_servers_ip>:10000 (if the webmin service is running).

># Samba config file created using SWAT
>
># from 1.1.100.69 (1.1.100.69)
>
># Date: 2001/11/23 12:30:41
>

># Global parameters
>
>[global]
>
>	workgroup = CURRICULUM
>
>	netbios name = LINUX2
>
>	server string = Samba Server %v
>
>	encrypt passwords = Yes
>
>	map to guest = Bad User
>
>	password server = curric_one
>
>	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>
>	max log size = 50
>
>	socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
>
>	printcap name = lpstat
>
>	addprinter command = /usr/bin/addprinter
>
>	dns proxy = No
>
>	admin users = sv
>
>	printer admin = sv
>
>	printing = cups
>
>	lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p

should be lpq -P %p, otherwise the job entries shown in the queue are
incorrect and you can't delete jobs. fixes in the smb.conf from 2.2.2-1mdk
You can actually delete all your lp* commands, since the samba-defaults
when printing=cups are usually correct (unless you are using client-side
drivers, not postscript) in which case print command = lpr-cups -P %p -r
-l %s (see the default smb.conf file provided with 2.2.2-1mdk, probably
/etc/samba/smb.conf.pmnew).

>	lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
>
>	queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
>
>	queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p
>
>	printer driver location = /frogburgers/print

this is deprecated, and does not apply to the new (since 2.2.0) nt-style
print driver downloading.

>[homes]
>
>	comment = Home Directories
>
>	read only = No
>
>	browseable = No
>

>[frogburgers]
>
>	path = /frogburgers
>
>	read list = sv
>
>	write list = sv
>
>	read only = No
>

>[print$]
>	comment = Printer Drivers
>	path = /frogburgers/print
>	guest account = everybody
>	write list = sv,root
>	guest ok = Yes
>	browseable = No

Please use the share definition  provided (but commented out) in the
default smb.conf. The path should be /var/lib/samba/printers, which
contains the correct subdirectories for storing the print drivers. If
the directories are missing (or not writeable by the user trying to
install the drivers) the driver upload will fail.

>[share]
>
>	path = /Shared
>
>	read only = No
>

>[root]
>
>	path = /
>
>	read list = sv
>
>	write list = sv
>
>	browseable = No
>

>[kyocera]

You should not need share definitions for any of your printers, unless
you want to seperate options per printer.

>	path = /tmp
>
>	guest account = everybody
>
>	printer admin = sv,root,staff,guest,everybody
>
>	guest ok = Yes
>
>	hosts allow = 1.1.*.*
>
>	printable = Yes
>
>	printing = nt
>
>	lpq command = lpq -P%p
>
>	lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
>
>	queuepause command =
>
>	queueresume command =
>
>	printer driver location =
>

>Thanks for taking the time to read this.
>

>Stephen Taylforth
>
>IT Technician (Ribblesdale Technology College)   [;-)]

Cellphone * Work       +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 808 2497 ext 202