NT Printer drivers in 2.2.1a

Stephen Taylforth stephen at ribblesdale.org
Fri Nov 23 06:31:03 GMT 2001

Hello, I'm a relative newcomer to Linux and am evaluating the possiblity of moving Our wholly NT4
network to Windows 2000 Clients talking to Samba Servers. I have a couple of old machines set up
with stock Mandrake 8.1 and Samba 2.2.1a and working through what we need to do to achieve our
aims.

I have met a problem I can't resolve. I want to use the samba as a print server but I can't Make samba
accept the NT drivers with the 'New Driver' method in the howto.  The drivers are uploaded to the
server, but it falls at the final hurdle and  Windows gives the 'Unable to change to the specified
driver,original settings will be restored' Message.

I've scoured the internet and this problem seems to be common, I've tried all the 'fixes' I've found all to
no avail. I cannot get The APW method to work either. I'm using CUPS and I've added the printer from
the CUPS web interface with no problems. I can get the printer to work from windows using a local
driver but not to get the drivers to work from the server.