Why are my users desktops writeprotected?

Rasmus Wiman rasmus.wiman at sami.se
Mon Nov 19 05:52:04 GMT 2001

Hi all,

I run a small domain with a Slackware 8.0 box and Samba 2.2.1a PDC and a
bunch of Win2000 clients. Most part of this works fine, but whenever a
user saves a file on the desktop it loses all privileges. To delete,
overwrite, move or do anything else with the file requires the user to
change the file proerties to allow reading, writing, deleting and whatever
other privilege he/she needs. This is rather annoying. What's wrong?

I suppose this is the interesting part of the common section of smb.conf:

   logon script = Labs.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

   logon home = \\%L\%U\.profiles
   logon drive= u:

And here is the Profiles share:

[Profiles]
    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
    browseable = no
    guest ok = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0600
    directory mask = 0700

Rasmus Wiman
SAMI Labs

First, they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then
you win.

- Mahatma Gandhi.