Unix Passwords only...

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Sat Nov 17 01:50:03 GMT 2001

Hi Jason!

Jason Naughton wrote:

> /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd.  I can now login fine under NT4.  Only
> one problem though I don't want 2 seperate passwords Unix/windows.  Is
> there any way of just using my unix passwords?

AFAIK you'd have to disable password encryption. That not the best
solution... so what I do here is just the opposite: I use only the
smbpasswd-database for passwords. While this FILE must be protected, I
at least don't have clear-text passwords on the net. I do this with
pam_smb, and everything our users need (e.g. netatalk) authenticates
against pam_smb (so against our samba pdc). The bad thing is that at the
moment I am not able to configure password changing via pam_smb (this
only works from our Windows-clients so far which can "directly" use
samba/smbpasswd without pam).

CU, Lars.