Setting default printer

Jacek Stolarczyk jacek at mer.chemia.polsl.gliwice.pl
Fri Nov 16 06:25:01 GMT 2001

Hi,

I have Samba-2.2.1a acting as a PDC and on WinNT 4.0 SP6a I cannot set the
printer as default. This is a network printer hosted by the PDC server
itself. It installed on client machine correclty ("Installation
succesfully completed"), but I cannot set this printer (which is the only
one installed on this client machine so far) as default. The Printers
folder show the printer (HP LJ2100 TN) without small black mark and the
check mark for "Default printer" in RMB menu is:
- shown when I'm logged as local Administrator on the client machine
- not shown when I'm logged as any domain user (even any user belonging to
the Domain Admins group as written in smb.conf file)

Such behaviour confuses many applications (like Adobe Acrobat Reader, but
MSOffice works) which does not allow me to print anything advising to "Set
the default printer in the Control Panel".

How can I solve this? Manual settings in registry would be fine as well
;-)

Best wishes,

Jacek Stolarczyk
--